We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2013. Applications for Fall 2014 will be due to the Anthropology Department by February 1, 2014.
For admission to graduate study the student must have a minimum of a 3.25 grade point average in anthropology courses and an overall GPA of 3.00. To facilitate scheduling of graduate courses, students are admitted for fall
Graduate Application Materials
To apply for an MA or an MS in Anthropology, there are two parts to the application process:
1) Applying to the university via the Admissions Office.
2) Applying to the Anthropology Department via our online application system [will reopen in the Fall for 2014 admission]. You will first need to click on "create your account" before applying. You will be asked to provide:
- Your name and contact information.
- Copies of transcripts from all prior attended institutions. We would like scans of your transcripts, but if a scanner is not available hard copies can be sent to: PSU Anthropology Department, Attn: Ember Stevens, P.O. Box 751, Portland OR 97207-0751. In addition, official transcripts need to be sent to the PSU Admissions Office.
- Information about previous teaching experience (if you want to be considered for a Teaching Assistantship).
- GRE scores. We would like scans of your GRE scores, but if a scanner is not available hard copies can be sent to: PSU Anthropology Department, Attn: Ember Stevens, P.O. Box 751, Portland OR 97207-0751. If sending directly from ETS PSU's institution code is 4610 and the Anthropology department code is 1701.
- 500-word Statement of Intent: Why do you want to study in the PSU Anthropology Department's graduate program? Describe the focus of your studies and mention the faculty members you would like to work with. Explain why your interests mesh well with the program.
- Sample of written work: Provide a well-written paper that illustrates your academic skills and interests.
- Names of three persons qualified to assess the your promise as a graduate student and willing to provide letters of recommendation. Letters should come from academic referees if possible. You will provide recommender names and email addresses on the online application, and recommenders will be automatically emailed for you. Letters of Recommendation need to be received by the Anthropology Department by February 1st. Email your recommenders well ahead of time by advancing to the last page of the online application and clicking on "Submit Recommendation Request." This will email your recommenders now even if you are not ready to submit your final application.
Apply here: www.applyweb.com/apply/psuclas
If you would like some advice or have questions on the application process, please email us at email@example.com. The application deadline is February 1, 2013.